Sunday, January 3, 2010

Boston Cream Pie

Photobucket

The title of this dessert makes it sound difficult, but it is actually very simple. I loved this! I almost ate the whole thing myself!

Prep time: 10 minutes
Ready in: 1 hr 15 minutes

Ingredients

  • 1 (3.4 ounce) package JELL-O Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding
  • 1 cup cold milk
  • 1 1/2 cups thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping
  • 1 round yellow cake layer (8 or 9 inch)
  • 1 (1 ounce) square BAKER'S Unsweetened Chocolate
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cold milk

Directions

  1. Beat pudding mix and 1 cup milk with whisk 2 min. Stir in COOL WHIP. Let stand 5 min. Meanwhile, cut cake horizontally into 2 layers with serrated knife.
  2. Stack cake layers on serving plate, spreading pudding mixture between layers.
  3. Microwave chocolate and butter on HIGH 1 min.; stir until chocolate is melted. Add sugar and 2 Tbsp. milk; mix well. Spread over cake. Refrigerate 1 hour.
I made this recipe as written, and it was divine. The only suggestion I have is when making the chocolate frosting is to do everything SLOWLY. I made the mistake of dumping everything in the bowl at the same time and I ended up with a clumpy runny mess. So I remade it, but this time I added the sugar 1/4 cup at a time, and the milk 1 tbsp at a time--alternating. Does that make sense? I know you know what I mean.

To cut the cake in half, I used thread instead of a knife. It came out much cleaner and faster than it would if I used a knife.

Make this one! You'll love it! I guarantee it.

No comments:

Post a Comment