Thursday, October 28, 2010

Perfect Dinner Rolls

IMG_5801

I was in a baking mood today!  As you may be able to tell by all my posts today!  It's finally fall here in Arizona, which means I can bake without dying of heat.  I'm so excited to try out new recipes, and put on that winter weight!  haha.  I will be hosting Thanksgiving at my house this year.   Me.  I'm making Thanksgiving dinner all by my lonesome, so I am starting to try out my recipes now.  This is the first one I tried, and I have to say it's a winner! 

By the way, I'm searching for the perfect Thanksgiving recipes, so if you have any please send them my way.  I'm looking for delicious sweet potato, green bean casserole and stuffing recipes.

Yield:  36 rolls

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups warm milk
4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons salt
7 cups all-purpose flour, or as needed
1/2 cup butter, melted
Directions:

Pour milk into a large mixing bowl, and sprinkle yeast over the surface. Allow to rest for 5 minutes. Beat in the sugar, eggs, 1/2 cup butter, and salt; blend thoroughly. Gradually stir in the flour to make a soft dough. Cover bowl, and set in a warm place until dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.

Punch down the dough, cover the bowl, and allow to rise again. Repeat this step two more times.

Break off 2 to 3 inch size pieces of dough, roll lightly into round shape, and place in prepared baking dish, edges touching. Repeat to make 36 dough balls. Cover and let rise until doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.

Bake rolls in preheated oven until tops turn golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. When rolls are finished baking, drizzle melted butter over the top, and serve warm.

This is a time consuming one, but it's worth it!!

3 comments:

  1. Erin- These look yummy! I'll have to try them.

    I have the greatest sweet potato recipe in the world. Sean's family always begs me to make it for Thanksgiving :) Let me know if you want it (ask me on Facebook)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Better Homes & Gardens magazine for this month has some yummy looking recipes. You could search at BHG.com (I think). Also, if you go to their website you can sign up for "100 days of Holidays" email news letters and they have links to tons of recipes and crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you look at the 'sugar cake' receipe from your great grandmother you will find it almost identical.

    ReplyDelete