Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Banana Pudding Cake and Cream Cheese Frosting

Today I tried another cake recipe. I have yet to make a complete cake from scratch, but I am definitely liking these add-stuff-to-the-cake-mix recipes.

Ingredients:
Photobucket
  • 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
  • 1 (3.5 ounce) package instant banana pudding mix
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 mashed bananas
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour the cake pan of your choice.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together cake mix and pudding mix. PhotobucketMake a well in the centerPhotobucket and pour in eggs, water, oil and mashed bananas.Photobucket Beat on low speed until blended. Scrape bowl, and beat 4 minutes on medium speed. Pour batter into prepared pan(s).Photobucket
  3. I always use the back of the recipe box as a guide for baking. It usually is plenty of time, even with the extra ingredients.

I let the cakes cool, and then I made this Cream Cheese Frosting recipe:

1 8oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 8oz whipped cream, thawed
2 cups powdered sugar

Blend the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add vanilla and whipped cream. Slowly add the powdered sugar.

I'm not the biggest fan of cream cheese frosting, but this was really yummy. The only problem with it was that it was kind of runny. I had a really hard time frosting my cake with this. It would have been fine if I just had baked a 9x13, but I did a layered cake and it was all coming off. So next time I'll chill the frosting, or I'll increase the sugar and decrease the whipped cream.

Photobucket

Yummy! It's not the best picture, but I couldn't take a picture of the whole cake, the frosting was ugly remember? Just trust me that it turned out tasting scrumptious in the end.

I think the next time I make this cake, I'm just going to to a simple glaze rather than the cream cheese frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment