Monday, October 12, 2009

The Best Cinnamon Rolls. Ever.

Photobucket


I am so excited that it is finally fall! For some of you it's been fall for awhile, but here in the valley it just barely started cooling down. With this wonderful cooler weather brings wonderful fall food! I have a lot of recipes I'm so excited to try. I will also be trying out lots of Thanksgiving recipes and posting the good ones on here, so everyone will know what to bring for Thanksgiving dinner! This will result in a lot of extra food, so please come and visit me and I will feed your hungry belly.

On Friday I made cinnamon rolls. I finally decided to give up on my recipe that I've had since Freshman Home Economics, and find something better (sorry Mrs. Miller). And boy did I find something better! These are the best cinnamon rolls I have ever made! Probably the best I've ever had. Except for, you know, Cinnabon. But who can compete with a 2,000 calorie roll?

Once again this recipe is based off of The Pioneer Woman's recipe. I say based, because I changed a few things, but it's basically the same. I also just pre-ordered her book!! I'm so excited! She's changed my life forever.

Okay here we go...

Ingredients:

2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 package Active Dry Yeast
4 + 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tablespoon of salt

3/4 cup (or more) melted butter
another 1/2 cup of sugar
generous sprinkling of cinnamon

Frosting:
1/2 bag powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter
pinch of salt

Directions:

Mix milk, oil and sugar in a large pot. "Scald" the mixture (heat until just before the boiling point.) Turn off heat and leave to cool 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Photobucket

When the mixture is cool enough but still warm, add your yeast and let it work

Photobucket

Stir in 4 cups of flour. Then cover and let rise for about an hour.

Photobucket

After the dough has risen add 1/2 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir mixture together.

At this point my friend Alicia called me, so I put my dough in the refrigerator for about an hour. You could put this dough in the fridge for up to two days if you wanted to. But who wants to do that?

Roll out dough into a rectangular shape. Look! I finally bought a rolling pin! In my five years of marriage I've never bought a rolling pin. It works so much better than a cup! I was singing the hallelujah chorus.

Photobucket

Pour on the melted butter. Don't be shy-- we all know butter makes the world better. I think butter should win the Nobel Peace Prize.
Photobucket

Sprinkle on sugar (the recipe says 1/2 cup, but use as much as you need! I think I used closer to 1 cup of sugar), and a very generous sprinkling of cinnamon. Be even more generous than this. I think my rolls could have use more.
Photobucket

Now run and get a piece of thread or dental floss. Roll up your dough, and pinch the seam. Use the thread to cut the dough. I really should have taken a picture of this part. If you've never done this before and you have no idea what I'm talking about, call me and I'll explain it to you. Or just use a sharp knife.

Place rolls in pans.
Photobucket

Let them rise for 20-30 minutes, then bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes. Or until light golden brown.

Meanwhile mix up the frosting...

and pour it over warm cinnamon rolls.

Photobucket

Mmmm...

Photobucket

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I had watched my mother make cinnamon rolls for years. This watching came into play in Lampang Thailand. I wanted to impress the Elders with my baking skills, so with a short note from my mission President's wife as to the ingredients I would need; I went to work to find butter, milk and white flour in a 3rd world country with only street vendors. I finally found what I would need. The next day I went to work making the rolls, remember I had never made them before. Because God is good...they were perfect! I became somewhat of a legend in Thailand among the Elders. I guess that's why they all wanted me in their districts. Isn't it fun when things turn out the way we want them to? Your rolls look beautiful! YAY for you!! love, mom

    ReplyDelete