Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Homemade Caramels

Too poor for Halloween candy this year?

Make your own!

Today I decided to make caramels. They are always my favorite candy, so I thought I would try it out.

Ingredients

Photobucket

1 cup butter
1 lb light brown sugar
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup light corn syrup
1 pinch salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:

In a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter, brown sugar, sweetened condensed milk, corn syrup and salt. Look I even painted my nails Halloween orange for the occasion!

Photobucket


Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.

Photobucket

Heat to between 234 and 240 degrees F (112 to 116 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a soft ball that flattens when removed from the water and placed on a flat surface. Cook for 2 minutes at that temperature. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla.

--Okay I tried this. I didn't have a candy thermometer, so I thought I would use the cold water trick. I thought it had got to this stage- but I really should have cooked it longer. My caramels are delicious, but they have to be chilled to be the right consistency. If they are at room temperature, they get way too soft. So-- I love this recipe- but the next time I make it-- I will be investing in a thermometer.


Meanwhile, butter a 9x13 inch baking pan. (I used my cake pans because my 9x13 was dirty and I was feeling too lazy to wash it. Plus- I didn't have time, the caramel was boiling!) When the caramel is ready, pour into the buttered pan.

Photobucket

Isn't it pretty?

Allow to cool completely at room temperature. Remove from the pan and cut into squares using scissors. Wrap individual pieces in waxed paper or cellophane.


Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment